So after a heavy night out in Alice and having no time for a sleep or even a shower,(think this was the 2nd time in about a week where I had to continue to wear the same gear I had from the night before, due to getting in late) Ryan and I collapsed on to the "Groovy Grape" tour bus which would be our transport/home for the next 2 days.
Our tour guide "Pete" started talking, but he wasn't much fun, so I basically nodded off to sleep.
We stopped briefly for some dinner, where everyone worked as a group to make then - Ryan and I just sat on the grass and didn't bother chatting with anyone else... I'm such a happy backpacker sometimes!
When I wasn't sleeping a was reading a book given to me by Steve at M.S.F. entitled "Beyond the black stump", by Andrew Stevenson. It was a great read about a guy traveling around Australia and the Aboriginal people he met. The funny thing was, that on one occasion the route Andrew was taking was the same road I was on as I read it!... Very strange.
"Coober Pedy" is a little mining town, between Alice Springs and Adelaide. It's where over 80% of the Opal produced in the world comes from and was our home for the evening. Due to the incredibly hot temperatures in the summer, around 70% of the population in Coober live in homes created in the side of the mountain - as it's much cooler.
After a shower, we went on a tour inside the mines - but yet again it felt more like a school trip and most of what our tour guide said went in one ear and out the other! - Bad Graham!
That evening, we went for complementary pizza, and I headed to bed just after 8pm. Ryan come a little later, as he had to find something else to eat due to his cheese issues!!..haha...
Thursday 19th June :-
For the 5th day running, it was another early start, this time we were up and on the road just after 5am. Even though Pete kept pulling over for photo opportunities, most of the bus just wanted to get to Adelaide - which continually annoyed Ryan and myself. Finally we arrived in Adelaide around 5pm. Our hostel for the night was "My Place", a few minutes outside of the centre of town.
If I was do visit Alice Springs again, I would definitely fly in and out - the Groovy Grape tour was just to long and should never be done on a hangover, trust me.
That evening, we headed out for tea and then to P J O'Briens, as that was where we were told the other people from the hostel will be at. On arrival, it wasn't very busy and to be honest I was happy for a quite couple of drinks. It's a same that wasn't an option, as it suddenly got very busy and the placed turned in to, what I can only describe as "The White Lion" - that's right, it felt just like the pub in Stockport - Shocking R'n'B music, expensive beers and everyone was about 12 years old... The most surprising part was that Ryan wasn't enjoying it!!... So be headed home.
For the next four nights, we stayed with Robert, Sandra and Robert, their son. These people are family friends of Ryans, who'd emigrated over to Australia from Urmston over 10 years ago.
They were every welcoming people and it was great to stay with them and to have some home comforts for a few days.
During our time with them we went out to their local for a few meals and drinks. Ryan and I also lent Roberts van and drove Victor Harbour, where we visited a little island which had seals on it. Along with Glenelg, which is like a Blackpool style place....
It was great to have some home comforts for a few days and I will always be gretful for how Robert and Sanda let me into their home and it was sad to leave them, but we'd rented a car and the Great Ocean Road was next.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment