Thursday, January 17, 2008

I'm up' North!...And nearly turned into Spag-Bol, Scuba Dived on the Great Barrier Reef and jumped 14,000ft & survived!!!

...All things I would normally do in January...Honest!



Sydney seems like a life time ago, especially after everything I've been up to since I left on the 6th January and flew up' North to Caines.

The flight between Sydney and Caines took 3 hours, which is mad especially when you think back home you could fly to Spain in less time - over here we'd not even left the country! Anyways, the flight was fine, I was a little hungover after an impromptu night at The Gaff. It turned out to be a Grease Themed evening, but all we wanted was the free beer! We being - Glenn, Nick, Ben, Wolf, Rich & Vinal. The standard rules applied, while there was the free hour of drinking we all become bar flies and just necked as much as we could. Once the freebies was up we headed upstairs and started singing and dancing along to Grease songs - it was like a remake of the movie...Honest!!!



Sorry, need to just step back a day - we kinda had two leaving do's the first was on the Friday (4th Jan) night, and we all headed over the Side Bar, which is under Wake Up!, where my Oz adventure started.

This was an amusing evening, we'd headed out as it was Richs last night and Glenn & mine last weekend in Sydney. We were all well on our way before we'd even got there and we all got in, which was a bonus. After a few more beers and shoots a couple of us decided to head over to Scruffys - it would of been rude not too! However Vicky lost her Driving Licence, so back to Side Bar we went, all walking about just looking at the floor, on the dance floor... we must of looked like fools. Once we'd found it we just ended staying in Side Bar, before heading home and passing out...



So Sydney is officially done and dusted for now...



Glenn and I arrived in Caines on the Sunday morning and got a pick up from the airport to our new home, Bohemia Central. On the way, the mad driver kept telling us about everything we could do...In the Rain!!... We know we're doing Queensland in the rainy season, but there was no need to over do this point to us!!

The first evening we ventured over to Rhino Bar for our free grub, thanks to our snazzy Peter Bar wrist bands, up on arrival we purchased a beer ($7 - we're backpackers, very expensive!), and asked about our free meal - which we were told was Spag-Bol. I for one was happy as I seem to be living on Pasta with a Tomato based sauce most of the time. That evening, back at the hostel, we took part in the pub quiz, 3 teams played and we come....3rd, well officially anyways. Unofficially we come 2nd, as one team got half a point for a funny answer!! Mind you the winning team bought everyone who took part a beer, so we're all friends really.



Cape Tribulation

On the Tuesday (8th) we woke just after 6:30am and jumped on our tour bus as we headed to Cape Tribulation and our Resort for the next few nights, The Beach House, located within the Daintree National Park. Our bus driver and guide was Matt - he was a good laugh and kept us all amused, except when he tried changing gear, turning on the road, changing music and talking in the mic, all at the same time - a lot of heart in mouth moments on the windy roads up there.

The first stop on the tour up was a crocodile farm, sorta thing. Basically we sat on a boat while the guide told us we might not see any crocs as it was to wet, so in turn he talked about the plant life around the lake - Joy!!

We were 'lucky' enough to see a 7yr old & a 3yr old croc, oh and a frog - if you zoom in on my pictures, you maybe able to see them...But to be honest, I was more entertained by my free brew and biscuits!!

The next stop was much better as Matt guided round the Daintree Rain Forest, it did feel a little like a geography trip with Mr Reever (Old Skool!!!), but we managed to see some plants that only live in this rain forest in this part of the world!!

Sorry. Will stop being "Geography Boy" now... We rolled up at our resort around 3pm.

We had a look about, once we'd dumped our bags in the B&Q shed that was our home. Basically it contained 5 beds and a bin.... You just can't buy this sort of luxury back home!! I know I shouldn't moan, it's a rain forest and I shouldn't expect 5*. At least I can say I have lived in the middle of a rain forest now.



Glenn decided the excitement of the morning was just to much for him and he went for a nap. I on the other hand decided to go read my book at the bar. After about 10 bites from the flies, I went to get my bug spray, but got chatting with a girl who offered me her spray, her name was Lisa and she's from Leeds.
Basically we moaned and tried to comfort each other with stories and activities to do in a rain forest, especially when it was raining and when you couldn't go in the sea as it's stinger season. We didn't get very far and with it being happy hour at the bar, it was wasn't ever long before the jugs of beer come out!

After a while Glenn and Jenny, a girl from our room who's from Warrington come and joined us and we just sat chatting for the rest of the night.

As you can imagine, you get many bugs in the rain forest and it makes going to the toilets at the top of the hill a mission itself, especially in the dark - I think I set a new life time best running up to the toilets at one point!!

Lisa and Jenny thought it was amusing we had another evening in Cape Trib, as they were leaving in the morning. Cheers Girls.

Come the morning, Glenn and I went on a 9k round trek to a water hole which we could swim in, it was knackering walk and we never found it, but we did find a nice little beach which we kicked about on for a hour or so.

That evening, we bought a couple of jugs and played....Monopoly!! Yeah that's right, in a rain forest, drinking beer and playing monopoly - I was the Hat... Thought I would get the luck of County, but nope I lost...Big time!!

On the day we left we visited a water hole for a swim, but it was lashing it down so no one went in, then we had a couple of beers in Port Douglas. All in all Cape Trib in lovely, but 2 nights in maybe one to many at this time of year.



Back in Caines, more Spag-bol and a Scuba Dive

With us both being poor back packers we ended up back at Rhino Bar for the next 5 nights eating Spag-bol, I really did feel like I was turning into in by our final evening.

Saturday 12th - We went Snorkeling and Scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef, it was amazing, simple as that. There was only about 12 of us on the boat and everyone got chatting after a while, I got chatting with an Aussie girl and then Ed a lad from Reading. Glenn seemed to of forgotten his sea legs, so I left him along to sleep it off, better than having me in your face all the time, hey!

As we were not qualified Scuba divers we had to dive with a dive master, but that still didn't take anything away from the experience. I managed to see a school of Clown Fish (Nemo's) along with some other random fishes.

I wasn't that fussed about doing the reef, but as soon as I got out there I was all excited and just couldn't wait to jump in. Once we got back from our dive, I was straight back in the water and snorkeling for about another hour - great stuff. I swear I saw some fish which were bigger than me!!...

Once we returned to land, we went back to Rhino Bar for more Spag-Bol - I've had my fill of it for the year already. Then we had a night out in Caines, we went to the Woolshed, I had high hopes for here, but was a little disappointed, especially was it was just pop music all night - who in there right mind, excluding you H ;) , likes dancing to Fergie, S Club 7 & Justin! - And to add to the night I lost my wallet!! Panic set in big style and again I was walking round a bar and dance floor looking at the floor - Glenn managed to find a bouncer and we finally found it, all the stuff still in it...I was one very lucky boy!!


Skydiving - we're not sure who's idea it was but we paid for it and had to do it. We should of jumped on the Monday, however due to bad weather it got canceled. So, being gluttons for punishment, we booked it for the next day and our final day in Caines. Now or never.
We arrived the next morning and within 20 minutes we were in our gear and heading to the aircraft.
Four of us we're jumping in our group and I was second out. On the journey up there I was fine and not to worried about what lay ahead of me. I have to admit, once we got passed the forest below I would of been happy to of jumped at that height. Funnily enough I also had that same feeling when we were entering the clouds, but we were only 7,000ft - half way!!
Above the clouds it looked so peaceful, I managed to take in some of the views out of my little window, something I will always remember.
Then bang, door open and at our height, all 14,000ft of it!!! First person out.... Me shuffling along on my bum to the open door, making the mistake of trying to see how far down they were - all I could see was a dot entering the clouds - oh bugger... A little look to the camera and away we went...Aaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
What an amazing rush - just total freedom, I can't describe just home good it felt as we hit the clouds. I just cought my breath as they we're so cold, then out the otherside with just the ground below me. It was a relief when the parashute opened - even if I had forgotten about it!!
Floating down to earth it gave me a great chance to take everything in - which was special especially as we landed on the beach - mission beach.
I do have a DVD of the jump, so that'll be fun to share with you guys whenever I get home!!..... Black&Deckerrrrr!!!!

Townville & Magnetic Island
Glenn and I left for Townsville that evening, sleeping for the best part on the bus, arriving at Townsville ferry terminal at midnight. We'd made the decision to just sleep on the benches at the terminal, rather than book in somewhere for 5 hours before getting the 1st ferry to Maggy island. It was a rough nights sleep, but nothing us hardcore backpackers couldn't handle..haha!!

"Base" on Maggy Island was our resort and it over looked the beach - I managed to get some nice sunrise pictures before check in.

Our hut slept 8 and was very crowded -but everyone in there was cool, so it worked out fine.

We rented a beach buggy type car on the first full day and bombed about the island on that - it only takes 25 minutes to cross from one side of the island to the other!! We got chatting with some a few people and I personally enjoyed my time on the island.

Back on Townsville after a few days with Maggy, we decided to stay one more evening before heading south to Airlie Beach. It was a good job really as I got one of my migraine's so spent most of the day in bed. I was lucky it was on a 'nothing day', otherwise I could of missed out on a trip or something.

Airlie Beach - Whitsunday Islands
I have spend the last few days, from Sunday 20th, on a yacht sailing round the Whitsunday Islands and I have to say - it's by far the best thing I have done so far. Sunshine, sailing, crystal clear seas and a good crew. We went snorkeling more times than I can remember, eat well and basically just chilled out on the boat listening to music and getting a bit of a tan - even I managed some colour!!
I'm feeling so chilled and relaxed at the moment, it made me laugh to think that at 8am this morning I was snorkeling on the reef, where as this time last year I was on a train in the cold on my way to work. I know reality will come back and haunt me soon - but it's going to have to do a pretty good job to catch me first!!!

Off out with the girls and guys from our boat this evening, which should be a laugh....
Promise to update the blog more often... it's a pain for me too!!...

Next stop camping on Fraser Island!!!......

No comments: